Jolly Roger

Captain of the Swamp protects the field

McLaughlin on the mound at home, gets the win with a score of 8-4, against Redwood High School on April 17th.

Photo Courtesy of Rod Miles

Colin Brown, Reporter

Pirates baseball has had success so far this season, and the star pitcher Ryan McLaughlin plays a big role in their great record. McLaughlin always puts the team on his back and in a very good position to win the game.

“Ryan McLaughlin has been our go to guy for the past two years. He has really led this team well and has a lot of success to prove it,” varsity baseball coach Will Mosley said.
McLaughlin leads his team in ERA (earned run average) for the second year in a row with an ERA of 1.09 and a record of seven wins and two losses.

“I am looking forward to having more fun with this squad. I cannot wait to see what we can do in the postseason,” McLaughlin said.
Having last year’s reigning MCAL pitcher of the year on the bump is a very big plus for this team.

“Ryan brings an intensity that makes the whole team confident that we will be able to dominate our opponent. He backs up his intensity with his pitching which has been the best in the league over the past two years,” varsity first baseman Isaac Friedenberg said.

McLaughlin led his team to winning both MCAL Championships and NCS Championship last spring and was the winning pitcher in both the famous 19 inning game during the MCAL Championship and the NCS Championship game.

“Last year was special, and it was a lot of fun. Our focus is on this year and focusing on each game by game,” pitcher McLaughlin said.

Last spring McLaughlin led his team with an ERA of 0.45 and a record of nine wins and one loss. These statistics are what drives McLaughlin.

“Having such a successful year last year only pushed me to get even better and continue improving my pitches. It was all just maximizing reps and trust in my pitching coach plus consistency in the weight room working hard to get better.” McLaughlin said.

All of McLaughlin’s success came from the constant work that he put in on the baseball field and in the weight room in the offseason

This team hopes to make a deep run in the playoffs. There chances look good with Ryan McLaughlin on the mound.

“Ryan McLaughlin is an absolute beast. His work ethic, perseverance and will to win is unmatched. There’s no one else we would want leading our varsity team into battle as we enter playoffs,” varsity call up Sterling Perry said.