Jolly Roger

Spring sports shine during MCAL playoffs

Photo Courtesy of Rod Miles

Parker Cummings, Reporter

After successful MCAL Spring seasons, teams here are mentally and physically preparing for postseason play and some have already begun. When it comes to the MCAL playoffs, many teams are hungry for another pennant, and it takes more hard work and determination than ever.

After a long and exciting season filled with close finishes, the varsity track and field team slightly fell off from last season’s second place finish obtaining a 4-5 record and a 6th place at MCAL finals compared to the 8-1 record from last year.

The boys’ varsity baseball team finished the regular season with an impressive 15-3 record and have secured a playoff elimination game win against Branson with a score of 2-0 but failed to capture the pennant with a 4-1 loss against Redwood.

Senior duo of catcher Case Delst and reigning MCAL pitcher of the year Ryan McLaughlin have been solid throughout the year and are poised to continue their deep playoff run into the North Coast Section playoffs.

The boys varsity volleyball team, led by strong seniors Eric Stoner, Danny Roland, Brendan Corr and Ryan Anderson was a pleasant surprise finishing 2nd in the MCAL standings after a close finish with rivals Marin Catholic.

The two teams were trading set for set throughout the game and went into the 5th and final set with Pirates losing.

After two successful season for both the boys and girls varsity swim teams, the boys secured first place in MCALs and the girls obtained a strong second place finish to Redwood.

The luck of the water polo boys and girls seems to directly transfer to their success in swim. Many of these college bound athletes seamlessly transfer from polo to swim.

“Although there is a relaxed attitude at Drake Swim, everyone works hard to get where they want to be by the end of the season. The mentality is that you have to do your best to be the best. Everyone is so inclusive, nobody gets caught up in the hype of being the best swimmer,” senior Greta Stout said.

Outside of the county playoff system, the mountain biking team won their fourth consecutive state championship title. The team was led by senior varsity riders Stella Greenwood, Elise Nicol, Dylan Fryer and Ronan Goulden.

Greenwood finished a successful campaign with a 14th place in the girls race, while Fryer placed second in the boys field. Sophomore Audrey Fehlhaber won the junior varsity race.